Tuesday, March 27, 2007

"It's a special kind of chicken ... "

"it's made with poison, but only a small amount."

That was my warning heading into dinner Friday night.

The male teachers at my school gather once a month and eat dinner. My friend and tennis partner Mr. Ur told me about the event and poison we'd be consuming that night.

At first I thought maybe it was a translation problem, not really poison but something that could be bad for you in large doses like cooking with lard (but it tastes oh so right.)

I entered the restaurant, which was a traditional Korean venue tucked away of a small hillside. When I got there, I saw two dogs chained up in the front yard of what looked like a house. Those dogs, I assume, will be consumed one day when they get big enough.

I took off my shoes and entered this banquet room with the small Asian style table you see in some U.S. restaurants.

Things were going well until Mr. Ur handed me a pill and said, "It's for prevention, because of the poison."

At that point I started to worry. I already had a sore throat that I would discover two days later is a cold. I felt a little uneasy about eating something that required I take a pill beforehand.

Then I said to myself, "Self, every man dies. Not every man truly lives."

Turns out it wasn't all that poisonous. But the Soju was.

Soju is a very popular rice liquor (approximately 25% alcohol) here that tastes like ass on the first shot. It's a bizarre drink because there is no flavor or taste out of the first shot. It's just nasty alcohol. But the second shot goes down much easier. By the third shot taste is no longer an issue.

And in Korea, when you're out with a group of men you drink A LOT of soju.

More on the second part of Friday night later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, that's like the Simpsons episode where Homer ate the blow fish. Sweet, way to man up.

Anonymous said...

You LIAR!!! You're not in Korea, you're in North Carolina!

Man keeps 80 sheep in his house, authorities say
POSTED: 9:54 p.m. EDT, March 27, 2007
Story Highlights• North Carolina man lives upstairs, sheep downstairs, sheriff says

Anonymous said...

"they may take our lives but they will never take...OUR FREEDOM"

Unknown said...

Ah Soju...I've downed many a bottle with friends at fine eating establishments in Koreatown...James, shame on you...you didn't know that here in LA, restaurants that don't have a hard alcohol license (only beer and wine) can actually get away with serving soju? A soju martini isn't all that bad...

And I thought you were a drinking man