Thursday, April 19, 2007

"Don't worry about it."

I'm the wrong person to apologize to. Because someone else admitting weakness to me is the sweetest tasting nectar of all.

After a Korean killed 32 people at Virginia Tech, one of my coworkers said they were sorry.

Now that I've felt the surge of apology I want more.

That's why this week, I'm walking through the streets of Seoul asking for apologies. Not just from Koreans, but other Americans and especially Canadians.

OK, in reality I was the wrong guy to apologize to. When my coworker said that, I said, "Ah Don't worry about it. It happens."

I continued, "It had nothing to do with him being Korean, he was just crazy. Yes, he killed 32 people, but more than 11,000 people in America die every year from homicides. Besides, there's a lot are more than 32 people dead because of crimes committed by illegal immigrants."

My colleague understood and we started talking about guns and their availability in America, but I defended my country's homicide rate as statistically insignificant.

Yes, if one of your loved ones was killed Monday or is killed by a homicide, it's a tragedy and there is no justification. But now I have to listen to expats from Canada, England and Ireland talk about how violent America is.

I've been saying it for a while now: America has 300,000,000 people. Approximately 11,000 of them die in gun related deaths each year. That's .003 percent. three hundredths of a percent. That means one in every 27,000 people.

It's not like one will walk off the airplane and get shot once they get to America. Yes, our murder rate may be higher than others, but at the end of the day you're more likely not to get killed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J-Lo in the So-Ko! Word on the streets of Seoul is that this man once drank a shot off the chest of...I'll let Mr. Loughrie tell - as they say - the rest of the story.

Unknown said...

What is the homicide rate in Lancaster? Are they still killing people up there with the same fervor as when I was working there? The seedy east side...

Anonymous said...

Couple things. First off, how hard do you laugh when they say "Me so sowwy"!!! 2nd, as to the homicide rate in the AV, that's easy, ITS NOT HIGH ENOUGH!! Dude, make them apologize for other stuff too, just for fun. Apologize for stuff that makes no sense too, $20 says they will.