Sunday, July 27, 2008

Life in Korea, #1

Hello all


I've been slacking again. See when I lived in Turkey it was such an interesting place. It seemed as though each day was a new adventure and experience with a fantastic cast of characters.

But Korea seems boring sometimes when I compare the two. It's probably because, yes, it is a little more boring than Turkey. But I think it's also because things aren't that different for me any more.

Everyday life in Korea doesn't seem like a wacky adventure, but a normal existence. So I must find my subjects for you, the dear readers.

Today I begin with a commitment to write each week, at least one time. The series, Life in Korea, begins today.

Life in Korea, #1
Health care

Last week I found myself with a cold and ear infection.

So I went to the doctor.

But get this: I walked in without making an appointment. One almost never needs appointments for doctors here.

I was seen right away.

The doctor, who speaks English fluently, gave me a standard examination for a cold and ear infection followed by a prescription.

My cost for all this, was $2.50.

I went to the pharmacy for medicine which cost another $2 and I was done. The entire process took 30 minutes. A few days later, I felt fine.

It's one of the great things about this country. They have a national insurance system that means you pay a small co-pay for doctor's visits and medicine. It makes me wish we had something similar in America. Yes, I am advocating national health care.

So Life in Korea #1 is finished. Not too exciting, but I'll add some more later. Post with questions or issues you want addressed. I intend for this topic to address both good and bad and even have some multimedia.

These are my last six months here so I'm going to get off my lazy ass and write some blogs.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are going to make you a democrat yet

Anonymous said...

I want my Vietnam follow-up post!!!

Anonymous said...

WTF happened to once a week SON!! I need my workdays to go by faster!

Anonymous said...

WTF, I take a break and you're off to one of THE glamour spots in the southern hemisphere.....VIETNAM. Probably not much different than walking the streets of Monrovia, except for the chickens. Maybe not.

Dennis

Anonymous said...

So where's Life in Korea, #2?

Anonymous said...

WHERE IS THE NEXT POST!?!?

Anonymous said...

STOP SLACKING!!!

Anonymous said...

37 days ago you wrote, "Today I begin with a commitment to write each week, at least one time."

So by YOUR OWN WORDS...you are now over 5 posts overdue!!!!

GET TO WORK!!

Anonymous said...

40 days....and 40 nights. No, not the stupid movie where some dude decides he won't get off for 40 days.

It's been 40 days since you've posted your last blog....that's how long it took God to flood the earth to cleanse it and restart....how can it take you longer to post a blog then for God to committ total and utter genocide of the world?

Anonymous said...

45 days, you should be ashamed.

Anonymous said...

This is just pathetic.

Anonymous said...

You Sir, BLOW!

Anonymous said...

Do you have NO pride!! POST DAMN YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

You'd better have a GOOD reason for this crap!!

Anonymous said...

Hey...LOOK AT THIS....I posted twice today....two comments in one day....huh, that's TWO MORE than you have in 54 DAYS!!! Damn, I hate you right now, I can't believe I slept with you!!!

Anonymous said...

James...were you seriously hurt or something? Where are you?

Anonymous said...

you know he wasn't hurt. he has just been lazy. fool attended (via internet) a fantasy football draft and talks crap online. he is lazy crap!!

i am moving him down the chain on "bookmarks" and if this crap continues into next month...i am deleting sir james from the bookmarks. BAM