Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I can't wait ...

Thanksgiving. Yes it's finally here.

At this point you might be saying, "But James, you're in Korea. Wasn't Korean Thanksgiving almost two months ago, and wasn't dog served in lieu of turkey?"

Well you would be right on both of those counts, if it wasn't for Itaewon (pronounced eetawan) a foreigner's district here in Seoul. It's located right next to an Army barracks and draws in any foreigners from around Seoul or South Korea for that matter.

There's a few restaurants there that will serve up Thanksgiving dinners. So Marissa and I are heading up Thursday night for a Thanksgiving Buffet.

This dinner has been the first thing on my mind all week. Let me explain a few things first:

- Koreans don't eat Turkey. It's just not available here.
- This week's sixth grade lesson involves the Korean kids from the chapter, going to the American families house for Thanksgiving.

Then I was dumb enough to put together a powerpoint for the lesson, showing pictures of Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy for the kids. Not only have I shown them what we eat, I'm driving myself mad with how damn good it all looks.

*     *      *     *     *     *     *     *

In other news congratulations to my sister Karalyn and her husband Jason on the birth of their daughter, Ella Marie. I don't know when I will meet Ella, but I already have a kilo of dog meat ready for her when she can eat solids.


--
http://loughriedoeskorea.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

next time you mention me, would you mind spelling my name correctly? After two years you should know my name is Marissa, not Marrisa. STUPID!

Anonymous said...

HA HA, looks like somebody is going to be in the dog house. Hey, that begs a question. Do they use the term "dog house" in Korea? And does it have a TOTALLY different meaning since they eat dogs instead of keep them as pets? If you said that, would somebody in Korea think you were going to be killed or something?

James said...

The dog house is the term they give for prisoners awaiting execution. But they understand the universal aspect of being in trouble with your woman.