Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Hapkido

Yes, sometimes to find inspiration for writing, I will go as far as attending a Hapkido class.

Hapkido is one of the Martial Arts created here in Korea. Yesterday was my first class.

Now for those of you laughing at me already, thinking: 1) About the "Seinfeld" episode where Kramer takes Karate classes and beats up on the kids, until they tire of it and gang up on him after class; or 2) comparing me to Amico hear me out.

I am in Asia and I need exercise. What better way to make good use of my time here than to take on a Martial Arts course. Besides, if any of you continue to laugh at me, the next time I see you, I will drop you. It's that simple.

I know Martial Arts are practiced for "self defense" but I'm using for "self offense." I want to become the physical bully I've always wanted to be.

No more paying for things I don't want to pay for. No more intentionally not looking at gang members hoping they don't remember me or my past work as a reporter. No more being polite to people larger than me out of fear they can take me.

Yes, Hapkido does not focus on attack moves but more defense moves that turn the attackers force into a weapon against him. (And I say him, because I don't need Hapkido to defend myself against a chick.) But these moves of defense can easily be tailored to moves of attack.

Look out world, I'm gonna kick your ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know how the stunner works out the first time you use it....better yet, make one of them spit a la Bob Henderson. That should be something they haven't seen before, and for good reason.

-Maestro